Please don’t hurt me if I don’t say your favourite. And tell me what you think in the comments.
TL;DR I’m a shameless shipper and I don’t own Harry Potter.
10. Aberforth and Narcissa
Starting with the most obscure, unlikely, Thornton’s-sharing-box* type favourite pairing.
Aberforth Dumbledore is an understated, clever person who, when push comes to shove, will do anything for his family.
Narcissa Black (Malfoy, whatever) is an understated, clever person who, when push comes to shove, will do anything for her family.
And Narcissa is related to Draco, which makes her officially amazing.
9. Harry and Ginny
The cutest canon couple in the history of cute canon couples. Aww.
Plus, Ginny’s the type that’ll hex Harry if he’s stupid. You go, girl.
8. Ron and Hermione
Because Ron’s a little puppy at heart (I will love you forever if you get the reference) and deserves to get the girl.
Although the fact that he’s one of my favourite characters doesn’t stop me from shipping Hermione with, ah, others .
7. Draco and Katniss
I know, I know. Draco’s from the Potterverse, Katniss is from Panem. That aside, I think they’d work. They’ve both got that kind of ruthless determination to get what they want.
And I can’t stand Peeta.
6. Blaise and Luna
1. Luna needs more love.
2. So does Blaise.
3. Blaise is more tolerant than your average Slytherin, and Luna’s… not your average Ravenclaw. They’re both smart in their own way (look, I’m trying) and loved by the fans. Plus, getting them together would be funny.
5. Tom Riddle and Hermione
By Tom Riddle, I mean the one that pops out of the diary in Chamber of Secrets, not Lord Voldy. It’s the classic “good girl falls for bad boy” trope. But I think this would be far more interesting than the average execution of it.
4. Remus and Tonks
Enough said. THEY’RE SO ADORABLE AND I LOVE THEM TO PIECES.
3. Neville and Luna
The two most underestimated characters in the Potterverse. Plus. Who. Does. Not. Love. Neville. And/Or. Luna.
2. Draco and Hermione
Not the Hermione-gets-a-makeover-because-Ron’s-cheated-on-her-and-Draco-realizes-how-beautiful-she-really-is fanfics (and I know you’ve all read at least one). When they’re done properly, when they stay in character (or, as in character as this ship gets), they can be. So. Cute.
I have two Dramione fics to recommend. And I can’t remember either of them at the moment. I‘ll find the links later.
1. Snape and Lily
The love story that never happened.
Two friends caught up in circumstances beyond their control.
One word spoken in a fit of anger.
Two friends, now enemies.
But they never forgot each other.
What if things were different?
What if Snape hadn’t called her that?
What if Lily had forgiven him?
What if he’d told Lily the truth before she died?
What if it’s called fanfiction?
So, there you have it. My top ten Harry Potter ships.
And I have some notes:
1. I don’t own Harry Potter any more than I’m a published, successful author and you’re my pet chipmunk. And if I did, we all know I wouldn’t be able to do him – or his story – justice.
2. You may have noticed I haven’t got any slash pairings. When it comes to fanfiction, I prefer to keep a character’s sexual orientation canon. But! I have nothing against gay people. In my WIP, I have four couples with decent page time. Well, four that should get together by the end. One is an insanely awesome lesbian couple. And one is a straight transsexual couple. (Um… I mean a biological girl and a transsexual boy. Which, in my mind, makes a straight couple.) I also have a secondary couple where one lover is bisexual. I’m fairly confident that I can write them without buckling under the weight of clichés.
For the record, I have two Asian, one mixed, and one black character. I’m mixed, and know more than enough POC to avoid stereotyping my characters.
But Draco and Harry?** Just… no.
3. Yes, I’ve read fanfictions of all these pairings, and many, many more. Mostly on FanFiction.net, but some were pieces by my awesomely talented friends who shall remain unnamed.
4. I’m ever so slightly obsessed with Harry Potter. In case you hadn’t guessed.
5. This post is far too long. Goodbye, nice, kind, patient readers.
* A guilty pleasure, no?
** If you ship them, that’s your ship.
And I shall never read the fanfiction you read.
Dear Miss Annie Onymous: Aw, that’s sweet. Just because I don’t ship your OTP, you feel the need to flame me. Well, I could do something, but I’m paralyzed with not caring very much.
(Note to all the rest of you: I will feed you cookies for eternity if you get that reference.)